Followers

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Join the Community

  1. What does it mean to have a "single story" about a place or community?

A single story is a single point of view. A community is made of many people. They all have a unique point of view. One person's view does not tell the whole story for, or about a community. If you hear a single story about a large group of people you should know that it is not the complete story. 

The media often speaks about a whole community of people and tells the same story over and over again. That is a single story. If all you hear about a certain group of people is that they are negative, then everyone will begin to believe it, including the people that the story is about.

2. Describe a single story you have heard told about your community. What is missing from that story? How could people learn more about that community?

A single story I've heard about my community is that kids at EACP are not well behaved. What is missing from that story is that most of the kids are in fact well behaved. I would say about five percent are not well behaved. If people wanted to learn more about EACP community they could spend the day in one of our classrooms to see what it is like. They will see lots of smart kids who are very eager to learn and do well in life.

3. Describe a single story you have heard about another community. How did you learn that story? How could you find out more about that community?

A story I heard about another community is I heard that people in Paris are unfriendly and rude. I learned that story from the media. I could find out more about Paris by visiting Paris.

4. How could a game let players experience many stories about a place or community?

A game could have multiple levels with different stories on each level. Or perhaps there are characters in the game which each tell their point of view when they are clicked on or interacted with.

No comments:

Post a Comment